Wire jewelry comes in many shapes and sizes, and in lots of intricate designs. But not every project requires absolute precision and knowledge of complicated techniques. There are plenty of projects that someone who has never made a piece of jewelry can do. Here are five ideas that are great for getting your feet wet.
1. Rings – Rings are among the smallest pieces of jewelry, but they also make up some of the simplest projects. Adjustable rings are especially easy to make, because they do not require soldering. In fact, there are plenty of designs that require nothing more than a piece of wire, a pair of pliers and a file to make. If you’re feeling adventurous, you could even design your own simple ring.
2. Dangle earrings – Some wire earring projects are very complex. But many are easy enough for the newest of newbies. Ear hooks are great for making dangle earrings, and they are easy to work with. You can string beads onto wire to make a straight vertical design, bend wires for a geometric dangle, or combine wire and beads for a simple yet elegant earring design.
3. Hoop earrings – If you love hoops, you’ll be happy to know that you can use wire to make some lovely charm hoop earrings. You can buy earring hoops at jewelry supply or craft stores. Purchase some pretty beads and head pins, and you have the makings of a fun and beautiful earring project that you can complete in no time.
4. Bead and wire chains – Making bead and wire chains is a bit more complex than the ring and earring projects, but it’s a great way for beginners to learn some frequently used techniques. You don’t need a lot of tools to do it, either. Wire cutters, round-nosed pliers and chain-nosed pliers are sufficient, although some may find that they prefer to use bent-nosed pliers.
5. Bangle bracelets – Wire bangles are not nearly as difficult to make as you might think. You can make a simple one with just some wire, clamps, wire cutters and round- and flat-nosed pliers. Most experienced bangle makers shape them with a mandrel, but if you’re not ready to invest in one of those, a tin can will work.
For those who have never tried, the idea of making wire jewelry may seem impossible. But with the right tools, anyone can make a simple ring, toe ring or pair of earrings. Once you’ve completed a simple project, you can try something a little more complicated. Before you know it, you’ll be creating beautiful bracelets, necklaces and earrings that rival those found in a jewelry store!